Ready for vintage Essex trivia? Are you knowledgeable about the history and heritage of Essex, New York?
If so, you’ll be able to identify (and possibly even contribute your own memories, stories, speculation for) the vintage Essex artifacts in this ever-expanding portfolio. If not, you’ll learn lots and enjoy even more as you explore this Essex digital museum.
The Essex community blog has been collecting, crowdsourcing, showcasing and curating diverse Essex artifacts since 2011.
What is Vintage Essex Trivia?
Each week we showcase a vintage Essex photograph, postcard, illustration or artifact. Some we discover ourselves, but most are generously contributed by members of the Essex community. First we feature the image(s) on Facebook to jumpstart the conversation. We ask for help deciphering the image. Who or what is featured? When and/or where was the subject recorded. The following week we publish a blog post revisiting the vintage image and sharing some of the comments shared by members of the community. Additional questions and insights can be shared in the public comments following the post. Sometimes a guess is all it takes to help unravel the mystery!
The weekly Vintage Essex Trivia challenge is a fun way to explore and preserve our local heritage. Part game and part research, this project (and the dynamic portfolio it is producing) represents a community-powered initiative to collect, share and preserve Essex history and memorabilia for all to enjoy. The Vintage Essex Trivia project is founded on the beliefs that:
- people, memories and stories are as important as buildings, monuments and physical archives;
- open, collaborative information gathering yields vital data that might otherwise be overlooked;
- a digital 24×7, universally accessible Essex archive or “digital museum” benefits residents, visitors, travel planners, local businesses, academic researchers and journalists.
Play Vintage Essex Trivia!
Together we can collect and preserve valuable artifacts, knowledge and narratives before they succumb to the passage of time. We can celebrate the myths and memories of our forebears while simultaneously archiving and curating our cultural heritage for generations still to come.
Ready to join in the fun? Click on any of the images below to enlarge, read the caption and add a comment. And if you come across images or artifacts that you would like to share please email editor [at] essexonlakechamplain [dot] com or use the online submission form. Thanks!
The following represent a small sampling of our weekly vintage Essex trivia posts:
- Vintage Photo: Essex Waterfront (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Baptist Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Stereoview: View from Essex Quarry (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Essex, NY from Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Residence of H.H. Noble (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Waterfront with Nail Factory (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Former Essex Baptist Church & Masonic Lodge (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Essex Main Street Looking North (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)