Spice up your Sunday evenings as we look hopefully towards spring with some fantastic theater from Adirondack Shakespeare Company. The troupe teams up with Lake Placid Center for the Arts to present a new “Sunday Shakespeare Series” this month with three original mash-ups of the Bard’s greatest hits.
ADK Shakespeare’s company of professional actors presents selections from the best of the Bard on different themes each week: true love, villainy, and “kings and things.” Each show will run about an hour and touch on such beloved classics as: A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Romeo and Juliet, Othello, King Lear, Henry V, and many more. These shows are fast-paced, light-hearted tours across Shakespeare’s canon.
Sunday Shakespeare Series: Lovers, Villains, and Kings
The first title, The Course of True Love, touches on some of Shakespeare’s most famous and tumultuous lovers: Romeo and Juliet, Beatrice and Benedick, and the actors even make an argument to include the Macbeths. This show is a bit of a musical affair as well with delightful songs from Twelfth Night and Much Ado About Nothing. The Course of True Love is followed by Their Blackest Sins, a look at those incomparable villains we all love to hate.
ADK Shakes closes out the month with selections from their upcoming Kingship Cycle. This series will be presented in full this summer, but you can get a sneak peek at the highlights from Richard II, Henry IV – Parts 1 & 2, and Henry V. Featuring the company’s Artistic Director Tara Bradway, Executive Director Patrick Siler, and festival favorite Collin McConnell in the title roles of Richard II, Henry IV, and Henry V respectively.
Bradway shares, “It’s exciting that these titles are enjoying a bit more attention lately with last year’s The Hollow Crown on PBS. Although they’re less familiar titles, they actually contain some of Shakespeare’s most beautiful language and compelling characters. Add in our signature Shakespeare IN THE RAW style, and you’ve got four plays that are absolutely not to be missed!”
Sunday Shakespeare Series Schedule
When You Go to LPCA:
- Sunday, March 16 at 7:30 p.m. – The Course of True Love
- Sunday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. – Their Blackest Bins: Shakespeare’s Villains
- Sunday, March 30 at 7:30 p.m. – He That Plays the King: Scenes from the Kingship Cycle
Tickets are $5. Call the Lake Placid Center for the Arts Box Office at 518-523-2512 to get your tickets.
- Adirondack Shakespeare Company in 2013 (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Bringing the Bard to life (telegraph.co.uk)
- Songs and Stories of Remarkable Adirondack Women (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Sara J. Henry: A Cold And Lonely Place (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Cultural Assistance Program (CAP) Grants Announced (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)