I recently had the pleasure of swinging my Champlain Avenue in Westport New York recently to visit with friend and proprietor, Kathryn Cramer. It’s exciting to see one of Westport’s newest commercial ventures hitting its stride.
Champlain Avenue, a bookstore and consignment store operated by local science fiction author and editor, Kathryn Cramer… The boutique, located just south of Ernie’s Market stocks 4,700 titles with an emphasis on science fiction but also ranging from general fiction and nonfiction to poetry and childrens’ books. (Essex on Lake Champlain)
There’s a fun neighborhoody feel to the place, sort of like a book store and coffee shop you might frequent in a northeastern city. Boston, say… In fact, Champlain Avenue doesn’t feel like you’re in a commercial space at all, more like swinging by a friend’s house. And indeed you’re welcome to grab a book and settle into the soft sofa with a cup of coffee to ponder your purchase.
Take a look at a few quick snapshots I shot on my phone while mulling over the stacks.
- Steamboats and The Champlain Canal (essexny.us)
- Essex Doodles Weekly: From Steamboats to Bombs (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Defining the Champlain Valley (northcountrypublicradio.org)
- Are tile drains bad for Lake Champlain? (northcountrypublicradio.org)
- Essex Prosperity 1820 to 1830 (essexny.us)