College for Every Student (CFES) is a nation-wide nonprofit organization that is based in Essex, NY, that strives to help “underserved students prepare for, gain access to, and succeed in college” (CFES).
“The organization targets students from low-income constituencies and children that have been given inadequate service in their educations with the aim of helping them succeed in high school and preparing them to pursue higher education.” (College for Every Student)
CFES is honoring 20 schools as “Schools of Distinction” for their “efforts in creating high levels of college awareness and aspirations among their students” (CFES Names 2011-2012 Schools of Distinction). Our very own Willsboro Central School is one of the recipients!
The CFES “School of Distinction” (SOD) award recognizes schools that have successfully and exemplary incorporated the three CFES core practices: Leadership through Service, Mentoring, and Pathways to College (CFES Names 2011-2012 Schools of Distinction).
These schools must offer activities that “enable all students and their families to learn about the college application process, financial aid, and strategies that foster college persistence” (CFES Names 2011-2012 Schools of Distinction). A school worthy of the SOD title must demonstrate their achievement in moving all students toward college success!
“In the three years that the SOD program has existed, we’ve seen a steady increase in student attendance, grades, behavior, leadership, and ultimately application to college,” says Steve Boyce, director of the “School of Distinction” program. “Schools are using the program to get kids interested and excited about college while they learn how to be leaders committed to making their schools and communities better places.” (CFES Names 2011-2012 Schools of Distinction)
Each of the award-winning schools developed special activities to prepare teens for college and the college application process. One event that Willsboro Central School created for its students was Professional Attire Day.
- Professional Attire Day: During Early College Awareness Week, students at Willsboro Central come to school dressed as they would for their future profession. Students plan activities and events that focus on college prep and wrap up the event with a college fair. (CFES Names 2011-2012 Schools of Distinction)
Full list of the 2011-2012 “Schools of Distinction”
I’m very happy to see that, as well as our local school in Willsboro, several schools in the North Country have made this list! Let’s hope for even more CFES honored schools in our area next year! The following schools were awarded the SOD title this year:
- Bayard Middle School, Wilmington, DE
- Burton Elementary School, Erie, PA
- Cloonan Middle School, Stamford, CT
- Crown Point Central School, Crown Point, NY
- Delta High School, Delta, CO
- Delta Middle School, Delta, CO
- Delta Opportunity School, Delta, CO
- Diehl Elementary School, Erie, PA
- Dole Middle School, Honolulu, HI
- Elbert-Palmer Elementary School, Wilmington, DE
- Global Tech Prep Middle School, New York, NY
- Lincoln Elementary School, Erie, PA
- Northend Elementary School, New Britain, CT
- Peru High School, Peru, NY
- Plattsburgh High School, Plattsburgh, NY
- Port St. Joe Elementary School, Port St. Joe, FL
- Ticonderoga Middle School, Ticonderoga, NY
- Willsboro Central School, Willsboro, NY
- Woodrow Wilson Middle School, Erie, PA
- Withrow University High School, Cincinnati, OH (CFES Names 2011-2012 Schools of Distinction)
Learn more about College for Every Student by visiting their website.