“Every weekday here begins with team meeting, at 6 sharp. We review notes from the previous day, set priorities, and divide tasks among the farmers. These days, the crew is as large as the days are long. Still, there is enough work to go around and then some.
This stretch of heavenly weather – low humidity, breezy, sunny, clear– is one of the best haymaking windows we’ve had in June since we started farming here eleven years ago. And the sooner we can get the first cutting made, the better the animals will eat this winter. So while the first priority on a Friday is always distribution, the next one for today, emphatically, is haymaking. We’ll have horses and tractors in the field all day, mowing, tedding, and raking, and by tonight we will have fifty acres down.
That’s a lot of chips on the table, but the weather report says clear through Wednesday, so off we go. We hired Jon Christian to drive tractor yesterday. He is in high school but watching him work I can still see the four year old kid he was the first year his father made hay with us here…” Continue reading this Essex Farm Note.
- Essex Farm Tours 2014 (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Farm: Excellent, Considering (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Farm: Firecrackers (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Farm: Fields Filling with Green (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Farm: The Farm Feels Young (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- New Essex Farm Stand Open Daily (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Farm: Peepers (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)