Sitting fallow for 50 years and nearly two centuries years after welcoming its first congregation of worshippers, the Old Stone Church has been restored to a new-found glory, ready for use in the 21st century.
Over the last 10 months, the building has undergone major restoration—everything from rectifying drainage and structural issues to installing air conditioning and radiant heat to integrating the Church’s function and landscape into the Essex Inn property on its eastern border.
Large groups can be accommodated in the Old Stone Church’s second floor. This 1800 sq. ft. room is perfect for weddings, rehearsal dinners, corporate retreats, and other events. The beautiful space is adorned with a restored 19th-century chandelier and stained glass windows that flood the room with natural light. Equipped with 21st-century amenities, the Old Stone Church now includes a fully catered kitchen to accommodate any event’s need.
On the ground floor is the Inn’s 14th room, the Stone Church Suite. This 900 sq. foot space includes a king-sized bed, walk-in shower, and radiant heat. The suite also contains a kitchenette, gas fireplace, and rustic furniture, custom-built by a local craftsman.
The Old Stone Church has a long and varied history. Built in 1834, the Church had an Episcopal and Methodist congregation for 90 years until it was purchased by the Masons. Eight years thereafter, in 1930, this Greek Revival structure became an American Legion Hall until it was given to the town of Essex in 1972. In January 2017, Rick and Karen Dalton purchased the Church from the town of Essex.