Lake Champlain Frozen 9 Years Ago
Longtime Essex summer resident John Lynch saw last week’s post about Lake Champlain freezing over for the first time since March 2007, and it inspired him to pass along these photographs that he shot one sunny day almost nine years ago during the 2005 freeze. I’m not sure whether the northern reaches of the broad lake froze solid, but one John’s photograph of the Four Brothers Islands certainly suggest any open water looking north from Essex.
I saw your post on [Lake Champlain Freezing Over] and I thought you might enjoy these photos from March 2005. In one of the photos you can see the Four Brothers all the way up the lake. ~ John Lynch
Thanks for the gallery, John!
Lake Champlain Across the Seasons
The greatest of North American lakes, Lake Champlain features prominently in the photography, art, recreation and well-being of our community. It is for this reason that our community blog emphasizes the connection between our historic village and the monumental natural phenomenon that has assured its survival across the centuries. We hope that you will help us continue to celebrate the lake across the seasons: Lake Champlain frozen and Lake Champlain thaws. Lake Champlain as a bridge to the past and Lake Champlain as a bridge to the future. And a bridge to Charlotte, Vermont!
In short, please tell us about your Lake Champlain stories, artifacts, images, etc. And we will help you figure out the best way to present, preserve and share your material.
If you’ve missed recent features about Lake Champlain frozen and otherwise, you may enjoy these posts.
- Lake Champlain Freezing Over (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Winter Waterspouts on Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex-Charlotte Ferry Closed Today (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Prepare for Potential Lake Champlain Flooding (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Lake Champlain Water Level Jumps 2 Feet in a Week (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Steamboat Sighting on Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- The Art of Lake Champlain: Inspiring Landscape (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Monitor Lake Champlain: Blue-Green Algae & Invasives (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- 2011 Flood of Lake Champlain Basin (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
Help Document Lake Champlain
We are looking into the future, after Lake Champlain frozen yields to warmer days and becomes Lake Champlain thawed. We’re currently working on a wide range of new Lake Champlain features and we would love your perspective. If you have a topic about Lake Champlain that you would like us to explore, please let us know. All suggestions are welcome! Or better yet, try documenting your favorite aspects of Lake Champlain to share on the blog. Here are some of the future posts we’re working on:
- Lake Champlain Facts
- Lake Champlain Seiche
- Lake Champlain Sturgeon
- Zebra Mussels in Lake Champlain
- Blue-green Algae in Lake Champlain
- Lake Champlain Steamboat Company
- Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
- Lake Champlain Lighthouses
- Lake Champlain Paddler’s Trail
- Lake Champlain Bikeways
Do any of those topics interest you? Maybe you have expertise or a unique perspective to share? Let’s brainstorm a topic together…
- Vintage Postcard: Essex, NY from Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: A Bit of Shore at Whallons Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Lake Champlain from Beggs Park (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Lake Champlain from Crater Club (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)