Earth Day was this week, and that event often makes people consider what they can do to protect the Earth and preserve our natural resources–locally and globally. If you want to do something locally, which usually are the easier steps to take, check out this pledge!
The Lake Champlain Committee has created a pledge that you can take to help preserve and protect Lake Champlain.
Protecting Lake Champlain’s health is the shared responsibility of all of us who live in or visit the watershed. You can play an active role by following specific steps to protect water quality around your home, yard, and community such as picking up after pets, using phosphorus-free fertilizer (it’s the law), and keeping storm drains clear of debris. (Lake Champlain Committee)
The Lake Champlain Committee has put together a list of actions called the Lake Protection Pledge (PDF) to inform and inspire us to commit environmentally friendly acts that will protect Lake Champlain.
Just a few of the simple actions listed in the pledge include:
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn. Grass clippings and other organic matter provide natural slow-release fertilizer and improve the lawn’s ability to hold water.
- Use paving stones, bricks, sand or gravel instead of paving with asphalt or cement. Paved surfaces shed water too rapidly; alternative materials allow stormwater to sink into the soil.
- Re-seed thin areas in the lawn. Planting bare soil prevents erosion and sedimentation of water bodies.
- Dispose of oil and antifreeze properly. Keep it out of storm drains.
Go to Lake Champlain Committee–Lake Protection Pledge to see the full list. Sign the online pledge to formally commit!
The Lake Champlain Committee is dedicated to protecting Lake Champlain, and they organize many volunteer events and activities. Please email Lake Champlain Committee at email@example.com or fill out their online form if you’re interested in any of their volunteer opportunities.
- Vermont Sail Freight Project 100% Funded (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- The Art of Lake Champlain: Inspiring Landscape (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- 1954 LCT Ferry Brochure (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- 1957 Ferry Brochure (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Polar Plunge 2013 (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
Leave a Reply