Draftwood (draft wood) combines horse powered logging and restorative forestry practices. Our goal is to make beautiful, healthy, and ecologically productive woods. Buying these products makes you a partner in achieving this goal.
Draftwood combines horse powered logging and restorative forestry practices. Our goal is to make beautiful, healthy, and ecologically productive woods. Buying these products makes you a partner in achieving this goal.
Why Horse Power
We use horses to pull logs from the forest providing a low-impact, uniquely sourced product. Horses don’t cause soil compaction nor rutted skid roads that are often associated with large machines. Trees have numerous roots close to the surface of the ground hat are easily damaged by heavy machinery. Horses have greater maneuverability and are able to make tight turns without damaging trees.
Why Restorative Forestry
Our method of selecting individual trees on a “worst first” basis improves the quality of the trees in a given forest. Limiting removal to no more than 30% maintains the forested condition. Creating small pockets in the forest where light can get to the ground allows natural regeneration of a range of tree species.
We believe Draftwood standards exceed every other standard in the industry, including Forest Stewardship Counsel (FSC) and Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI). Our products are guaranteed to have been harvested under Draftwood Principles, Criteria and Guidelines. Draftwood Green Certified Forest Products have been used in L.E.E.D building projects. (Source: Why Draftwood – Reber Rock Draft Wood)
Reber Rock Draftwood Products
All Reber Rock Draftwood products are harvested locally using our Suffolk Draft horses and adhering to Healing Harvest Forest Foundation restorative forestry guidelines to make healthy, beautiful forests.
- Unfinished hardwood tongue & groove, multiple native species available
- Unfinished Pine, tongue & groove or S4S
Live Edge Hard Wood Slabs
- 10 – 20 inches wide
Rough Cut Lumber
- Split seasoned wood
- Long length
- We can come to you and harvest firewood from your woodlot
Cut & Build on Property
- Build your dream home using timber from your forestland. We will come to your property, harvest timber & work with the homeowner, architect, and contractor to provide beams, dimensional lumber, siding, flooring, trim, and whatever else the home needs.
If you would like to order or have any questions about Reber Rock Draftwood products please contact us and/or arrange a visit.
- Call: 518.573.4499
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 1699 Jersey Street, Essex, New York
- Website: www.reberrockdraftwood.com