St. Joseph’s Church… was begun in 1872 and finished in 1873 at a cost of $9,000. According to H.P. Smith [in History of Essex County], the congregation numbered 100 families in 1885. Local myth held its location out of town was because the existing religions in the hamlet did not want the Catholic church nearby. In fact, it was built to serve the congregations of two towns and was thought to be located conveniently in between. The rustic fence in front was lost to road widening. (David C. Hislop, Jr., Images of America: Essex on Lake Champlain)
St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic church is located on NYS Route 22 (Lake Shore Road) north of Historic Essex Village at the intersection of Block House Road.
St. Joseph’s Information
- Physical: 2891 Essex Road, Essex, NY 12936
- Mailing: St. Joseph’s Church, PO Box 607, Willsboro, NY 12996
- Phone: (518) 963-4524
Leave a Reply