Have you registered to renew your STAR Tax Exemption yet? Homeowners can receive some school tax relief, but must register by December 31, 2013. Please ask your neighbors and friends if they have registered! Homeowners who fail to register will not receive the STAR exemption in 2014.
About the STAR Program
The STAR Program offers some exemptions on school taxes for property owners who qualify.
Visit www.tax.ny.gov to learn more about the STAR Program (look at the list on the left-hand side for more information). Or Call the NYS Tax Department at (518) 457-2036 to learn more!
Homeowners must register to continue receiving the Basic STAR property tax registration in 2014 and subsequent years.
- Homeowners will not have to re-register every year. Based on the information provided in the registration process, the Tax Department will monitor homeowners’ eligibility in future years. (NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance)
Homeowners that need to register should have received a letter this fall detailing the new legislation that requires a renewed registration. Senior Citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR property tax exemption are not affected by this new requirement and do not need to register.
Register online at www.tax.ny.gov. Or if you have no internet access or would just prefer to register over the phone, then call 518 457-2036 to register.
What Do You Need to Register?
To register you will need to have some information ready. You will need to know/have on hand:
- Your Basic STAR Code (in the upper right hand corner of your letter).
- The social security numbers of all owners and spouses of the property.
- Whether the combined 2012 income of resident owners and spouses was $500,000 or less.
- Information about any residency exemptions in other states received by any of the resident owners. (The Town of Essex, NY)
Remember the Registration Deadline is December 31, 2013!
- Don’t Miss Out: STAR Program Re-Application Deadline Is On Dec. 31 (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Cuomo: Beware the STAR scammers (timesunion.com)
- Save On Property Taxes! – STAR Exemption Deadline Approaches (watchcroton.com)
- Essex, NY Not Just A Summer Town (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)