Residential property owners, do not ignore the recent mailing you should have gotten from the state about the STAR tax exemption. To reduce your property taxes, you must re-register before Dec. 31. It can be done on-line and is nearly painless, provided you can remember your social security number. (Rob Ivy)
The STAR Program offers some exemptions on school taxes for property owners who qualify (exempts the first $30,000 of the full value of a home). Essex property owners should sit up straight and pay attention! If you recently received a letter informing you about new legislation that has made changes with the STAR tax exemption you must register as soon as possible.
You must register to continue receiving the Basic STAR property tax registration* in 2014 and subsequent years.
- Homeowners will not have to register in order to receive their 2013 STAR exemptions.
- Homeowners will not have to re-register every year. Based on the information provided in the registration process, the Tax Department will monitor homeowners’ eligibility in future years. (NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance)
Register online at www.tax.ny.gov. Or if you have no internet access or would just prefer to register over the phone, then call 518 457-2036 to register.
*Senior Citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR property tax exemption are not affected by this new requirement and do not need to register.
What Do You Need?
To register you will need to have some information ready. You will need to know/have on hand:
- Your Basic STAR Code (in the upper right hand corner of your letter).
- The social security numbers of all owners and spouses of the property.
- Whether the combined 2012 income of resident owners and spouses was $500,000 or less.
- Information about any residency exemptions in other states received by any of the resident owners. (The Town of Essex, NY)
Registration Deadline is December 31, 2013. Homeowners who fail to register will not receive the STAR exemption in 2014.
Do you have any questions? Visit www.tax.ny.gov to learn about the STAR Program (look at the list on the left-hand side for more information). Or Call the NYS Tax Department at (518) 457-2036 to learn more!
- Registration necessary for STAR tax exemption (troyrecord.com)
- Essex Farm: News, News (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Waterfront (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Doodlebomb: Essex Horse Nail Company (essexny.us)
- New York seeks to clean up tax exemption rolls; homeowners must register again for STAR tax break (poststar.com)