Kim Rielly posted an enthusiastic blog post about summer in Essex celebrating flood recovery, exciting new businesses and the timeless charm that has drawn visitors and residents for decades. She asks,
“could it possibly be true that the recently-submerged businesses were planning to open THIS summer?
It’s true. In fact, the community is not only ready to welcome visitors for the summer – it is veritably BUZZING with activity.
A stroll through the tree-lined streets of this historic town is quite a treat. Bolstered by pedestrian traffic from the ferry from Vermont, the restaurants, shops, inns and art galleries complement the gorgeous 19th century architecture, (the entire village is on the National Historic Register, and includes the most intact collections of federal and Greek Revival architecture in the entire state!)
And you won’t find any empty storefronts; there are several new businesses, and twists on some of the classics. (via LakePlacid.com.)
Kim highlights some of the newest additions to the Essex allure including:
- the newly renovated Essex Inn
- the newly renovated Ice Cream Shop
- the newly opened Live Well holistic health center
- the newly relocated ReNew thrift shop
- the newly opened Pink Pig
- the better than ever Adirondack Art Association
- and Champlain Area Trails.
As I indicated in my comments beneath Kim’s blog post, she captures the current energy and excitement in Essex. I wrote:
The number of new and renovated businesses alone is thrilling! And when you consider the record-breaking flooding and how much effort has been required to recover from the incumbent setbacks, it is truly astounding. What I see happening in Essex is a nothing short of a renaissance, a top-to-bottom revitalization of the community and the businesses and organizations which lend vitality to the charming landscape, geography and architecture. It’s an exciting time to live and work in Essex!
Essex friends, neighbors, businesses and recent visitors will understand what I mean. I hope that you will come to Essex to discover what all the buzz is about!
- Essex Shipyard and Rudder Club (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Marina (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Inn on the Adirondack Coast (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Adirondack Art Association (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Live Well in the Champlain Valley (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Moon Over Lake Champlain (rosslynredux.com)