For the last several weeks, Adirondack Shakespeare Company has been running a fundraiser through Adirondack Gives to support an Arts & Crafts Workshop paired with their original children’s play Songs of the Iroquois: Turtle Island. With just two weeks left in the campaign, the Company is working to raise the last $1,000 in order to sponsor a free Traditional Arts Festival on the grounds of the historic Scaroon Manor on the west shore of Schroon Lake.
The Festival Day is planned for Saturday, August 1 beginning with a performance of Turtle Island at 11:00 a.m. Following the show, Mohawk Storyteller Kay Olan will tell traditional stories. In addition to ADK Shakespeare’s Arts & Crafts, where our young audience members can create their own Turtle Island, Mohawk Artist Bill Loran will run a beading workshop making bracelets or leather medicine bags. There will be a limited supply for this beading workshop. To reserve a spot, please email Tara at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (518) 803-4275.
Lunch will also be served. The day will conclude with a performance of the fun-filled comedy As You Like It, a great introduction to Shakespeare for kids. Live music begins at 3:15 p.m. In case of rain, all activities will be held in the Pavilion at Scaroon Manor (near the Amphitheater).
Your donation to AdirondackGives.org helps to make Adirondack Shakespeare Company’s first-ever Traditional Arts Festival a free event for all. Admission is charged to the Scaroon Manor Campground and Day-Use Facility ($10 per vehicle), but all activities will be sponsored by the fundraising campaign.
When: Saturday, August 1
Where: Scaroon Manor, 8728 Route 9, Pottersville, NY
- Songs of the Iroquois: Turtle Island – 11:00 a.m.
- Arts & Crafts with the cast of Turtle Island – 12:00 p.m.
- Traditional Storytelling with Mohawk Storyteller, Kay Olan – 12:15 p.m.
- Lunch – 1:00 p.m.
- Traditional Beading Demonstration & Workshop with Mohawk Artist, Bill Loran – 1:30 p.m.
- As You Like It – 3:30 p.m. (Live music begins at 3:15 p.m.)
Visit www.adkshakes.org for full schedule. Or call 518-803-HARK (4275).
- Adirondack Shakespeare Company’s Five Year Anniversary Season is About to Begin (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Fundraising Effort in Schroon Lake Saves Historic Strand Theatre (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- ADK Shakespeare Company Begins a Year-Long Fifth Anniversary Celebration (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Adirondack Shakespeare Company Fundraising for Children’s Summer Program (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)