We shared this vintage postcard on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page and invited our viewers to play some Vintage Essex Trivia with this beautiful rendition of a historical Essex building. Can anyone make out the author’s name in the lower right corner? Or does anyone know the author from the style or from some other way?
Do you recognize the Essex building in the sketch? Once upon a time it was probably in use as a shipping or storage building on the wharf. Today it’s the Old Dock House Restaurant! However, the drawing captures it in a previous incarnation. It’s titled, “The Old Dock Coffee House in Essex, New York.” Does anyone know when the building was occupied by this business?
See what the community had to say below:
Jane Hurlburt Scaia: Where was this house? OMG nice
Christine Herrmann: I cannot make out the name of the artist, but I do remember when The Old Dock Coffee House looked like it does on this post card. And yes, it has become today’s Old Dock Restaurant.
Steve Mckenna: Very cool.
- Vintage Photo: Main Street Parade (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: St. John’s Episcopal Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Main Street Winter Scene (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Sleigh Near Essex Community Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Motor Boat Station (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)