Last Monday, we shared the vintage photo above on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page and invited our viewers to play some Vintage Essex Trivia. Unfortunately we did not receive any comments, so perhaps our viewers were stumped on the details?!
Do you recognize the scene in this photo? The photograph’s title tells us the location: “A Bit of Shore at Whallons Bay, Essex, NY.” That’s right! This is the road along the shore of Lake Champlain at Whallons Bay. It appears to have been taken right at the northern curve of the bay. Do you agree or disagree? What section of the bay do you think it is? Is that a bit of Split Rock Mountain in the background?
That dirt road has long been replaced by a paved one and the utility poles with more updated ones, but otherwise the scene is the same today. Though I imagine some of those trees have also grown taller or have fallen by now. I’m guessing that the photo was taken in the early 1900s.
Do you have more to tell us about this photo? Leave a message in the comments!
- Vintage Postcard: Essex Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Stereoview: Northern Essex Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Essex, NY from Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Lake Shore Road Entering Essex, NY (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Lake Champlain from Beggs Park (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)