The image above is the front and back of an old portrait dating to around the 1860s if I’m correct in saying that the man in the photo is a soldier in uniform (from the Civil War). Do you recognize the man or spot any local family resemblances? As the back of the photograph tells us it was taken by H.J. Brown of Essex, NY — have you heard of him? Can you tell us more?
Ann Dickinson: Wish I knew. That’s a beautiful image from the H J Brown photographer’s studio.
Perhaps someone with military history knowledge can help better identify the type of uniform and anything we could learn from that (rank? regiment? etc.)?
Please share your thoughts in the comment section below and help us learn more!
Share Your Essex Artifacts
If you want to share your old photos of Essex (or brochures; postcards; menus; tickets; any artifact) on the blog please email us at editor [AT] essexonlakechamplain [DOT] com.
- Vintage Photo: Essex Regatta (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: American Legion Hall (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Main Street (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: South Farm (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Boathouses (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)