Every Monday we share a vintage image on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page and invite our viewers to play some Vintage Essex Trivia. Above is a photo taken in Essex long ago out on Lake Champlain.
Our thanks to Christine Herrmann for sharing this great photo with us. Here’s what she shared about it:
“Here’s another photo I found of a long ago summer. Not sure what year but probably early 1950’s. I’m pretty sure it’s of the Essex Regatta, but I do not know any of the boats. Maybe someone will know more.” ~ Christine Herrmann
It seems likely that the photo was taken during a regatta given the boats and the location — the boathouse and shore in the background were a common spectator spot for the regatta and it appears that there are chairs and crowds along the hillside.
Have you ever attended a regatta in Essex? Tell us what it was like in the comments below! I’ve never attended one as they ended before I knew of their existence (or before I was born?) — do you know when the last one took place?
I think it would be nice to begin the tradition again if possible. One commentor on the photo agreed:
Catherine DeWolff: Bring back the Regatta!
Do you recognize any of the boats on the lake? See anything else of note?
Read some more about this photo here.
Share Your Essex Artifacts
If you want to share your old photos of Essex (or brochures; postcards; menus; tickets; any artifact) on the blog please email us at editor [AT] essexonlakechamplain [DOT] com.
- Vintage Photo: Ship on Whallons Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Regatta 1950s? (rosslynredux.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Gem of the Lake (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Waterfront with Ferry to South (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Sherwood Inn Waterfront (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Boathouses (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Essex, NY from Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)