This is another postcard featuring a site not in Essex, but in the near region. Do you recognize it? Where is it exactly? Have you been there? What can you tell us about it?
The caption reads: “Champlain Statue on Lake Champlain, from Plattsburg, NY.” That caption tells us that this site is in Plattsburgh, New York, which is to the north of Essex. (Plattsburg is spelled unlike today’s “Plattsburgh” on the postcard.)
Have you ever seen this statue before? I have and it is still there. It’s located in aptly named Champlain Park. According to GoAdirondack it was “a gift from France in 1909 to celebrate the 300th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain’s discovery of Lake Champlain.”
The back side of the postcard is to the right, click to enlarge if you want to take a look. It doesn’t offer much information. Just that the publisher was Chas. W. Hughes of Mechanicville, New York, the line along the center reads “C.T. American Art,” and postage was one cent at the time.
Do you have any further thoughts to share? Please leave a comment below!
Share Your Essex Artifacts
If you want to share your old photos of Essex (or brochures; postcards; menus; tickets; any artifact) on the blog please email us at editor [AT] essexonlakechamplain [DOT] com.
- Vintage Postcard: Steamers Ticonderoga and Vermont (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Serene Boat Scene (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Lake Street, Essex, NY (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Steamer Chateaugay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Horse Nail Company in Essex, New York (rosslynredux.com)