We shared the vintage postcard above on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page last Monday and invited our viewers to play some Vintage Essex Trivia. Have you ever seen this image before? It is titled: “Essex NY from Lake Champlain.”
This photo was taken on a boat out on Lake Champlain. Can you see the ripples in the water that the boat is leaving behind? It’s very interesting to see the water in black and white when I can so easily picture the blue of the lake in summer.
What section of Essex coast do you think this is? Can you recognize any of the buildings on shore? One of our readers has an opinion:
Christine Herrmann: Looks like it was taken while going north past Sandy Point. I think I can see Greystone Manor, the Nobles’ red brick house, the Sherwood Inn’s boathouse, Sherwood Inn, and Dower House. Also, that looks like the big old cottonwood tree which is down by the creek where my children played and which they called “quicksand land.”
What do you think? Leave us a comment with your thoughts!
- Vintage Postcard: Essex Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: The Old Dock Coffee House, Essex, NY (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: St. John’s Episcopal Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: St. Joseph’s Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Main Street Parade (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)