Every Monday we share a vintage image on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page and invite our viewers to play some Vintage Essex Trivia. Last week we shared the old postcard above featuring a section of waterfront in Essex. Have you ever seen this image before?
We’re looking at a section of Essex that is on Lake Shore Road from out on Lake Champlain. What buildings or landmarks do you recognize?
The postcard is titled, “Sherwood Inn, Landing, On Lake Champlain, Essex, NY.” Have you heard of the Sherwood Inn before? An old home and boathouse were converted for use by the inn when it opened during the first half of the 20th century and it operated into the 1950s or 60s — do you know the exact dates? You can see an old brochure for the inn and learn more here: “Vintage Brochure: Sherwood Inn.”
There is a postage mark on back of the postcard which dates it to 1959, so the photo was taken on or prior to that year. When do you think it was taken?
Ann Dickinson: I don’t know the date, but it is a wonderful photo. Is this inn still there? Or parts of it?
Yes, the building known as Sherwood Inn along with its boathouse (note the name on the roof?) are still there today! However, it has since been converted back into a residence called Rosslyn. You can learn more about the home’s restoration and what’s happening there on a website run by its current owners: www.rosslynredux.com.
Share Your Essex Artifacts
If you want to share your old photos of Essex (or brochures; postcards; menus; tickets; any artifact) on the blog please email us at editor [AT] essexonlakechamplain [DOT] com.
- Vintage Postcard: The Crater Club (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Essex, NY from Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Essex Main Street Looking North (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Cannon Point Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: American Legion Hall (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Sherwood Inn Landing on Lake Champlain (rosslynredux.com)