While we of course share a lot of artifacts and images of from or of Essex, this particular postcard is another artifact featuring a location nearby and not actually in Essex. Do you recognize it? Where is it? What has changed?
The caption tells is that it is the Westport Inn in Westport on Lake Champlain in New York.
Here’s what the community had to say about it:
Dianne Lansing: I think it might be the original Westport Inn. The Inn was torn down in the early 1960’s and it is now Ballard Park.
Curdie Gardner: That’s where my parents planted the square of flowers! I never saw what was there before…how beautiful!
Dianne Lansing: For what its worth, here’s some more info. Our wedding reception was held on the lawn of the Inn on August 25th, 1962. The Inn was no longer operating as such but the bar on the lower level was still open. Very shortly after that, the Inn was torn down. It may have even been the same year.
So it turns out this inn was torn down and the area is now Ballard Park! I never knew that. Thanks, Dianne, for sharing its fate. If it was removed in the 1960’s that means the postcard pre-dates whichever precise year that happened in that decade. Can anyone narrow down the year for us?
Does anyone else have anything else they would like to share about the postcard or the Westport Inn? Any memories? Please leave a comment below!
Share Your Essex Artifacts
If you want to share your old photos of Essex (or brochures; postcards; menus; tickets; any artifact) on the blog please email us at editor [AT] essexonlakechamplain [DOT] com.
- Vintage Postcard: Steamer Chateaugay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Horse Nail Company in Essex, New York (rosslynredux.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Serene Boat Scene (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Lake Street, Essex, NY (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Sherwood Inn Waterfront (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Split Rock Lighthouse | Essex on Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)