Does anyone recognize this building? What can you tell us about it? When do you think the photo was taken?
Here’s what the community has to say:
Dianne Lansing: My guess is that it is the horseshoe nail factory which was where Beggs Point Park now is.
Sarah Bayne: Dianne is right.
Yes, Dianne is right! The building is the Essex Horse Nail Factory. It burned in a fire that destroyed the factory in 1918 (which date the photo to that year or prior). After it was gone the area was turned into Beggs Park which remains today. Learn more about its history here.
Do you have anything else to share? Please leave a comment below!
Share Your Essex Artifacts
If you want to share your old photos of Essex (or brochures; postcards; menus; tickets; any artifact) on the blog please email us at editor [AT] essexonlakechamplain [DOT] com.
- Vintage Photo: Lake Shore with Elmwood Cabins (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Image: Rosslyn (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Construction of the Van Ornam Building (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Essex Diner & Movie Theater (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Ship on Whallons Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)