Check out this vintage photo postcard of the Essex motor boat station and automobile garage, Essex, NY.
The large sign on the building reads:
You can see the large garage door open under this sign, and nearby is an early gas pump. Notice the “gas” sign near the dock, and also, a “socony” sign to the right of that near the water’s edge. Some small boats are docked. There is a large home to the right and an early automobile parked near garage.
Christine Herrmann: It’s the Essex Marine Base!
Dianne Lansing: No…Christine. Take another look. Its Steve McKenna’s house and the gas dock that was there. Was someone named Murphy involved? Before the cabins were built.
Christine Herrmann: Dianne, you’re right. I jumped in too quickly! I’m sure it’s before 1947 when I first came to Essex.
Tilly Close: This is George Murphy’s garage and dock. Charlie Porter and his horses once went thru the ice nearby.
Steve Mckenna: I know that place!
Debbie Morrell Alterie: Wow, look at the car parked in front of Steve McKenna’s house.
- Vintage Postcard: Between Essex Inn and Post Office (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Stereoview: Essex Baptist Church Steeple (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Essex Photo: Marching Band (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Inn Welcomes New Chef and Innkeeper (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Union Free School (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)