We shared the vintage postcard above on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page last Monday and invited our viewers to play some Vintage Essex Trivia. Does this view in this photo seem familiar to you? The photo is titled, “Looking South From Park, Essex, NY.” It’s Beggs Point Park!
Check out the comments from the community below:
Marc Hayward: Beautiful Beggs Point!
Dianne Lansing: Those benches look fairly recent. I think David’s class at school may have made them and some are still in the Town Hall basement. I’d have to check the trees. Don’t think they are still there so that refutes my first thought.
What do you think about the photo? Can you estimate the date it was taken? It’s not a color photo, but the presence of the electric utility pole doesn’t put it too far in the past. I’m guessing that it was taken some time in the 1900s but which decade I am unsure.
Share your thoughts in the comments below!
- Vintage Postcard: Essex Bay (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Essex, NY from Lake Champlain (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Lake Champlain from Crater Club (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- See the CATS Photo Contest Finalists (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: The Ross Mansion, Essex, NY (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)