We invited you to play Vintage Essex Trivia when we posted this old postcard on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page last week, and we asked the community to tell us what they think of the photo and to share any knowledge of the scene.
This vintage photo shows us a view looking south on Main Street in Essex, NY. The date is uncertain, but take note of the unpaved streets and the abundant trees along the road. There are some some trees along Main Street now, but this beautiful scene has changed over time.
Here are some of the comments we received about this historic photo:
Dianne Lansing: This was taken from the Essex Inn looking south. That’s our “old” house on the left….when it still had a narrow front porch.
Christine Herrmann: Dianne, that will always be “Shoim’s” (Charlotte Sherman’s) house to us! As kids, my cousins, my brother, and I spent many a summer afternoon there enjoying freshly baked cookies and homemade root beer.
Robert Hammerslag: The street trees are amazing!
- Vintage Stereoview: Essex Community Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: The Greystone Library (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Steamboat Sighting (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: Old Brick Store, Main Street, Essex, NY (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Stereoview: Main Street, Essex, NY (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)