Each Monday we share an Essex photo or artifact on the Essex on Lake Champlain Facebook page and invite our viewers to play some Vintage Essex Trivia. Thank you, Mary Wade for sharing this postcard with us!
Do you recognize the scene in this pictured about? If anything I’m sure you recognize the unique building to the right: St. John’s Episcopal Church. In 1854, a Ross family schoolhouse (built c. 1835) was converted into this church—though Episcopal services had been held in the building (and other places in Essex) for many years. This church is still in service today.
When do you think the photo was taken? The type of photo it is (black and white) and the presence of dirt roads in the main village certainly tell us it is at least early 1900s (maybe even earlier?).
Take a look at a few comments we’ve received below to see what the community had to say and to learn more unique
Marc Hayward: Wow….old one!
Lorraine Townsend Faherty: St. John’s. Looks like photo was taken from bottom of drive to Hickory Hill.
Dianne Lansing: St. John’s Church in Essex but painted brown instead of the white it is today. Elm St. seems to be unpaved. There seems to be an addition to the church on the south side….or is it another building, a barn perhaps? Hard to tell if the present stained glass windows are in this photo, and of course, the fellowship hall addition is not. The parsonage lacks its very recent car port.
Christine Herrmann: Dianne has it right! There is a church in my town that once was brown but has been white since before I moved to town in 1966. Some of the townies still refer to it as “the brown church!”
Do you have any more to add? Leave a comment below!
Share Your Essex Artifacts
If you want to share your old photos of Essex (or brochures; postcards; menus; tickets; any artifact) on the blog please email us at editor [at] essexonlakechamplain [dot] com.
- Vintage Photo: Essex Waterfront (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Former Methodist Church with Steeple (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Old Photo: Essex Parade (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: Main Street Essex (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- St. John’s Episcopal Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Postcard: St. John’s Episcopal Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Vintage Photo: St. Joseph’s Church (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)