Homemade cheesecake with fresh strawberry topping… dutch chocolate cake with butter cream frosting… ginger cake with cream cheese frosting…pecan pie….oatmeal cookies with cranberries & pecans…dark chocolate chip-heath bar crunch cookies….short bread cookies…. piping hot whole wheat bread….gluten-free but scrumptiously-gooey chocolate brownies……….is your mouth watering yet?
These are just a few of the wonderful treats that were for sale at Saturday’s Essex Beautification Committee Bake Sale. The front porch of the post office was a hub of activity from 9am-11:30am as residents picked up mail and treats to support this year’s efforts to beautify Essex and Whallonsburg.
Our goal is to raise enough money to purchase 4 new barrel planters and enough flowers to fill them for the summer. There are 2 barrels in Whallonsburg and 15 in Essex. Some of them are over 20 years old and rotting or missing bands. We need around $1200.
Although we did not reach our goal — we are well on the way. We plan to hold another Bake Sale and Mini – Plant Sale at the Essex Post Office on Saturday morning, May 9th from 9:00-11:30am. There will zip-lock cookie packs available for “Grand Hike” hikers too. We hope to see you there!
Notably, Jan Ellen Fortune stepped up as the new co-chair who, along with Sarah White, will head the “Essex Initiatives Beautification Committee” this year.
We still need helpers with planting and watering so please get in touch with Jan – (963-4085) or Sarah – (963-7280).
- Amy Guglielmo Discovers Gluten-Free Baking in the North Country (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- CATS Announces Second Annual Grand Hike May 9th (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Essex Initiatives Updating 2015 Essex Directory (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Lakeside School: Farm and Forest Summer Camp Scholarship (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)
- CATS Seeks Volunteers for Grand Hike (www.essexonlakechamplain.com)